Compass’ Solution – BusConnects Dublin Route Mapper
The Route Mapper relies upon Open Street Map (OSM) as the underlying base data in the application, combined with Open Trip Planner and the NTA’s proprietary GTFS data.
- OSM is a reliable and cost-effective mapping platform which can be used for web applications.
- The GTFS Dataset is the proprietary NTA data relating to different transport options available, bus stops and timetables.
OpenTripPlanner (OTP) is a family of open source software that provides passenger information and transportation network analysis services.
The component finds itineraries combining transit, pedestrian, bicycle, and car segments through networks built from widely available, open standard OSM and GTFS data.
Routing parameters are configured to represent the proposed network and service schedules.
The search function can allow up to 3 route options, where available:
- A direct bus route
- The fastest bus only option regardless of number of interchanges
- The fastest bus & rail option with at least 1 rail leg (Dart, Luas, rail)
The User Interface enables the user to search for their starting location using:
- My location
- Plate code (the unique identifier on bus stops in the Dublin area)
- Place name
The search function is restricted to a distance of 3000m from the Dublin Bus Network, with an error notification if users try to select areas that are not in range.